Wednesday, March 14, 2007

What is a "teaching library?"

When I was growing up in the 1960s, I went to the library to commune with the stacks of books. I remember, very fondly, long quiet moments alone with the librarian. No obligation to converse. Sometimes the woman (it was always a woman) would hand me a book, make a brief suggestion, smile. I don't ever remember asking her for advice. I do remember when I learned how to use the Dewey Decimal Classification System, in a small school library in Aberdeen, South Dakota. How the stacks seemed to open up, like the covers of the books they contained.

Today, the world of libraries have changed in many, many ways. The role of the school librarian has evolved, too. Instead of wordlessly putting a book into a student's hand, we have the time to muse with the student -- what was the book he last read and loved? what did he like about it? what kind of books does she like to read? what is the difference for her between "screen time" and reading? What about each is valuable and important?

In addition to how librarians encourage reading print, we teach many other facets of the world of information ... how to use an encyclopedia -- print and online; how to navigate the Internet and find reliable, useful and timely information; which library (public or school) has the newest "Magic Tree House" book, and is it available for checkout; how to choose a useful keyword for an online search; how to take notes, do research, write a bibliography, skim and scan books and websites; the meaning of a database, and how to use it. Finding a book that is "just right for me." The list could go on for miles.

It is one part of the job that keeps it stimulating and interesting. Of course, the most important part is the children. Which brings me back to that librarian in Aberdeen, South Dakota. And the incredible gift she gave me -- a book. A gift I hope to pass along to the children I meet in the Jamestown library.